NOTICE: This post is over 180 days old. This information may be outdated if you're looking for new or upcoming information.
NYS Regent Exam Information for Families
Recently the State Education Department (NYSED) announced plans for the June 2021 Administration of the NYS High School Regents Examinations. In recognition of concerns regarding the impact of the pandemic on the students of New York State, the State Education Department applied earlier this year for a waiver with the Federal Education Department which, if granted, would have exempted the state from the requirement to administer Regents exams as well as English Language Arts and math assessments in grades three through eight. The Federal government has informed all states that no waivers will be provided. As a result, New York State is required to administer certain, but not all, Regents exams.
In addition to administering the required exams, the State Education Department has provided adjustments with respect to the assessment requirements that students must ordinarily meet in order to earn diplomas, credentials, and endorsements so that the current pandemic will not adversely impact students. Details regarding those adjustments are provided below.
Regents Exams Being Administered
The following Regents Examinations will be administered in June 2021:
- Algebra I
- Earth Science (written test only)
- English Language Arts
- Living Environment
All other Regents, including the Checkpoint A and B for World Languages are cancelled.
Regents Exams Being Administered
As we prepare for the administration of the four Regents examinations scheduled for June, we request that you fill out the following Google Form to provide us with details of your intent to have your child participate in the Regents. Please be mindful that transportation will be available on the day of the exams and a schedule will be posted on the website in June.
The deadline for informing the district of your decision is by the end of the business day on Friday, May 21, 2021
Regents Exam Exemptions
Students will be exempt from any Regents exams this June for any that are cancelled if they meet one of the criteria listed below:
- Students who are currently enrolled in a course of study culminating in a Regents, and earn credit in the course by June 2021 or August 2021.
- Students who are currently in grade 7 or grade 8, enrolled in a course of study leading to a Regents, and meet the learning outcomes for the course by June 2021 or August 2021;
- Students who successfully complete a make-up program by August 2021 in a course of study culminating in a Regents
- Students who previously achieved course credit in a course of study leading to a Regents who have not yet passed the associated assessment, but intended to take the exam in June or August 2021 to achieve a passing score.
- Students who are enrolled in and pass any of the four Regents Examinations being administered in June 2021 also qualify for an exemption to the diploma requirement associated with the examination, as long as they meet one of the eligibility requirements above.
HEALTH AND SAFETY
Planning for the administration of Regents exams will include ensuring that all health and safety protocols are followed including social distancing, face coverings, and the requirement that all students complete the Daily COVID Questionnaire. The administration of the exams will be in person, therefore any virtual students will need to decide if they are interested in coming to the building on the day of the exam. In order to best prepare for these assessments, it is important for the Newburgh District to know how many students will be in attendance.
LINKS AND RESOURCES
We have provided links to guidance from the New York State Education Department to help you in your decision about your child deciding to take any of the four Regents exams that are offered.
- Memo June August 2021 Assessments .pdf
- Frequently Asked Questions Related to June 2021 & Aug. 2021 Assessment Waivers
- June 2021 High School Regents Examination Schedule
If you have any questions regarding your decision as to whether or not you would like your child to take any of the Regents, you may discuss this with your child’s teacher, your building administrator, your child’s guidance counselor, or call the Office of Curriculum and Instruction at 845-563-3420.
ATTENTION: Are your scholars or colleagues doing something great? Please contact the district Communications Team at firstname.lastname@example.org. We’d love to visit your class or event and/or post your pictures and recap to highlight the amazing accomplishments throughout our district!