NOTICE: This post is over 180 days old. This information may be outdated if you're looking for new or upcoming information.
Sam Sukhai - Distinction of Participating in the 2019 NYSSMA Conference All-State Mixed Choir in Rochester this past December
Each year in late August approximately 900 students are notified that they are selected to participate in the NYSSMA Conference All-State music groups. The All-State experience begins with a music educator, his or her student and an accompanist spending countless hours preparing a NYSSMA Level VI solo. Last spring, over 6,500 sophomores and juniors from across the state of New York prepared for All-State evaluations in the hope of being selected. Every student who earns a score of 98-100 must be recommended. This year over 2400 students received scores of 98 or higher and were recommended for All-State consideration. The All-State Selection Committee reviews (in no specific priority): member school music teacher recommendations, adjudicator recommendations, the candidate’s previous NYSSMA Solo ratings, grade in school, zone representation, participation in the previous year’s All-State, and participation in other performing organizations. After the master proficiency list has been established for each instrument and voice part, the “process” continues with each successful candidate assigned to positions in one of the eight All-State performing ensembles. In late August, all selected students and alternates are notified by mail, which is when we learned of Sam’s acceptance into the Mixed Choir.
- Sam Sukhai is a senior at NFA Main who participates in many extracurricular activities. He rows for the Varsity Crew team, sings in A Capella mixed chorus, Madrigals select chorus, and Robert D Williams Tenor/Bass Chorus. He is also a supporting lead in the spring production of In The Heights. Sam has been accepted into High School All county, NYSSMA Zone 9 Area All-State and Conference All-State this past year.
- His future plans include pre-med studies at NYU, Fordham, or Brooklyn College.
- The Level VI Tenor I All-State solo she sang last year was entitled "Do Not Go, My Love" by Richard Hageman.
- Thank you so much to Sam for all of his hard work in striving for this amazing accomplishment. Thank you, also, to Ms. Caci for all of her efforts in assisting Sam in his goal.
- Please join me in congratulating and honoring NFA Main’s Sam Sukhai, for achieving the amazing distinction of participating in the 2019 NYSSMA Conference All-State Mixed Choir in Rochester this past December.
ATTENTION: Are your scholars or colleagues doing something great? Please contact the district Communications Strategist, Cassie Sklarz (email@example.com). We’d love to visit your class or event and/or post your pictures and recap to highlight the amazing accomplishments throughout our district!