Newburgh Schools Meals Holds Summer Program Kickoff
On Wednesday June 6, 2016, the Newburgh Enlarged City School District, in partnership with Cornell Cooperative Extension’s Eat Smart New York Program and community partners-, hosted a summer meals program kickoff at the Delano Hitch Recreation Park to help combat the summer hunger gap that occurs in low-income communities across the county during summer months.
“From 2014 to 2015 we increased by almost 15,000 meals and we are hoping that with new sites, more marketing and great partnerships we will see a larger increase this summer,” said Caitlin Lazarski, Food Service Directors at NECSD.
Background Information on Summer Meals Program:
- Meals are FREE to children and teens ages 18 and younger who come to a summer meals site
- Food served follows USDA nutrition guidelines and is paid for by the USDA
- Summer meals sites are at schools, churches, community centers and other places that are safe for kids and teens
- Parents don’t need to apply to the program to get a free summer meal for their kids. They can just bring their child to a summer meals site in their community.
- Families can text FOOD to 877-877 or call 866-3HUNGRY to find a summer meals site in their neighborhood.
“Collaboration and coordination with our local, state and national partners to raise awareness about the program in Newburgh (and the Hudson Valley) is critical, as it may be a child’s only opportunity for a healthy meal.” said Stefanie Hubert Eat Smart New York Project Manager.
The Summer Food Service Program sites and times vary throughout the city. For a full list of locations and sites please visit Newburgh Summer Meals Site or http://cceorangecounty.org/food/summer-food-service-programs
TEACHERS: Are you and your students doing something great? Please contact your Communication Strategist. We’d love to attend or post your pictures and recap to highlight the amazing accomplishments throughout our district! Grades PreK-5 Angela Wise (email@example.com) and Grades 6-12 Cassie Sklarz (firstname.lastname@example.org).