How Does NFA P-TECH Work?
P-TECH’s unique program is specially designed so that students complete high school, have the opportunity to earn a college degree, and are career ready by the time they graduate. NFA P-TECH’s curriculum will offer learning experiences based in the real world, using a model focused on science, technology, engineering, math, and the arts. Students will develop important academic and career skills as they learn through projects developed in collaboration with IBM. Students are expected to address current issues and problems; to comprehend, apply, and innovate with the knowledge they learn; and to make the connection between academic learning and real world situations. The length of enrollment is tailored to the learning needs and goals of each student.
Why NFA P-TECH?
Students at this innovative academy will:
- Receive individualized support and guidance as they plan their high school years and begin taking college
- Explore different careers and participate in real work experiences with IBM, developing the skills important for
- Have internship opportunities with IBM to prepare for college and competitive careers in Computer Information
- Take college courses with SUNY Orange faculty during the regular school day.
- Earn an Associate in Applied Science Degree (A.A.S) from SUNY Orange at no cost
Will students enrolled in NFA P-TECH be able to participate in extracurricular activities?
Absolutely. Students enrolled at P-TECH will have the same extracurricular opportunities as every other student at Newburgh Free Academy.
Will students have the opportunity to take elective courses?
The decisions regarding elective courses outside of P-TECH designed pathways will be determined on an individual student basis. Because P-TECH will offer a rigorous course of study designed to cover high school, college, and work place experience, careful consideration must be taken regarding elective courses.
What Associate of Applied Science degrees will be offered?
Students will have the opportunity to earn an Associate of Applied Science in either Computer Information Technology – Networking or Cyber Security.
Are you really promising a college degree for free?
Students who remain enrolled in the program will be able to earn an Associate of Applied Science degree AT NO COST to the family.
How can I find out more?
Attend the Open House on Wednesday, January 20th, 2021 at the NFA North Campus at 6:30pm.