HOH Celebrates Improved and 100% Attendance for Quarters 1 & 2
Keith Coles, the Attendance Intervention team member for Horizons on the Hudson, celebrates students who have not only improved their attendance, but also students who have a record of 100% attendance for Quarters 1 & 2.
Attendance Newsletters are released quarterly. Read the latest here; https://www.newburghschools.org/news.php?storynum=1300
Contents from the latest newsletter remind us of the importance of school attendance:
DID YOU KNOW?
• American Academy of Pediatrics has release groundbreaking work on The Link Between School Attendance and Good Health.”
• Families are crucial to ensuring students attend school every day whether their role is to transport
a young child to school or monitor whether their teenager is showing up to class. What families say and do has a big influence on their child’s attendance.
• There’s not much we can do about the weather, but there are two key steps every parent can take to help avoid absences this year: Make back-up plans for bad weather and keep your children healthy.
• It is important to find a way to get your child to school even when the weather is bad. If you are having trouble getting to school, reach out to other families, or call the school. We can connect you with families or staff members who can help.
WHY ATTENDANCE MATTERS
• Absences, even if they are excused, can add up to academic trouble. This is as true in kindergarten as
it is in high school.
• Help your child learn to persevere. Today, they learn to overcome a snowdrift. In the future, they will have the grit to triumph over even greater obstacles to their dreams.
• Children who miss too much school in kindergarten are less likely to read well by third grade. By middle school, absenteeism can predict who will graduate from high school.
Informational link & Sources: www.attendanceworks.org